Friday, January 25, 2008

You just start..

Yes.. that’s exactly what I used to tell Kunal when we were kids. Alright, lemme just tell you on what occasions I used to blabber that. Sundays were the best and most awaited days in the week..the reason being that Dad used to take me and Kunal to a bookstore in the mornings and generally for rides in the evenings. But at the same time, we made it a point to pop in the question to Dad if he would buy us books. Sounds pretty much simple and straight, doesn’t it? Well, it was always Kunal who did the talking , the reason being that he seemed to have tremendous faith in me to muddle up the situation and screw our chances of going out by saying something utterly stupid and ridiculous. We used to have this plan – one Sunday, it would be him and the other Sunday, it would be me. With his turn, there was never a problem. The issue actually used to crop up when my turn came. I used to ask him to just start with the talk with Dad and then assure him that I would take over. This is how it used to happen.

Me: lets go to Dad. You just start and I will continue. I would be standing right behind you.
Kunal: Sure? You backed off the last time.
Me: Aww.. this time I wont. Trust me. I will give you something nice if you help me with this.
Kunal: Like what?
Me: How about my new paint box? (depending on whatever was my last buy and definitely the most treasured one)
Kunal: Ok. That would do.

Kunal: Dad. We were just wondering that…. (waiting for me to speak up)
Dad: Yeah, what is it?
Kunal (muttering): Didi, say. Your turn now!
Me: Umm.. haaann… (looking petrified as if I am dumb)
Dad: Tell me Kunal, what is it?
Kunal: Well, Dad, will you take us to the bookstore today?
Dad: Hmmm.. only if you complete our studies.
Kunal: Its Sunday Dad and we have completed everything Dad.
Dad: In that case, Mom will decide.
Kunal: Dad, please. There is this nice book that I haven’t read and it would be in the store now.
Dad: Ok. We will go in the evening.

Me: Great. We will go.
Kunal: Why would you? You didn’t say a word.
Me: But I ll let you use my paint box.
Kunal: Use. That paint box is mine now.

And then starts the chasing game. Me running to my shelf and clutching my paint box and running helter skelter. And Kunal performing the TOM act chasing me around.

And if you guys are wondering, where does all this end, it surely does when my Mom comes into the picture only to thrash me up. Poor me!

Needless to say, am missing those days and much more than that, Kunal. I love you a lot dear bro. Love you a lot!