Wednesday, December 27, 2006

A scene l liked from one of my favourite movies..


KATHLEEN: Why did you stop by? I forget.
JOE: I wanted to be your friend.

KATHLEEN: Oh.

JOE: I knew it wasn't possible. What can I
say? Sometimes a person just wants the
impossible. Could I ask you something?

KATHLEEN: What?
JOE: What happened with that guy at the cafe?
KATHLEEN: Nothing.
JOE: But you're crazy about him --
KATHLEEN: Yes. I am.
JOE: Then why don't you run off with him?
What are you waiting for?


A long beat.


KATHLEEN: I don't actually know him.

JOE: Really.
KATHLEEN: We only know each other -- oh God, you're
not going to believe this --
JOE: Let me guess. From the Internet.
KATHLEEN: Yes.
JOE; You've Got Mail.
KATHLEEN: Yes.
JOE: Very powerful words.
KATHLEEN: Yes.


Joe sits on the edge of the bed.


JOE: I'm happy for him. Although -- could I
make a little suggestion? I think you
should meet him. No. I take it back.
Why meet him?
KATHLEEN (starting to get sharp again):
I hardly think I need advice from someone
who --


He reaches out and gently claps his hand over her mouth. And
holds it there. It's unexpectedly tender and sexy.


JOE: I concede I bring out the worst in you,
but let me help you not to say something
you'll just torture yourself about for
years to come.


She starts to smile and he removes his hand.
They look at each other.


JOE: I hope you're better soon. It would be
a shame to miss New York in the spring.


Joe stands.


KATHLEEN: Thank you for the daisies.


He starts for the door.


JOE: Take care.
KATHLEEN: I will.

JOE: Goodbye.

KATHLEEN: Goodbye.