Monday, February 18, 2008

Writing and Editing

Writing and Editing – two sides of the same coin. Basically similar yet totally different. People say they can both write and edit at the same time. I disagree. I cant. Writing a piece of article and then switching over to edit the same is literally next to impossible. I mean I would definitely be oblivious to the errors, which would have caught my notice otherwise. So I wouldn’t ever say I can write and edit at the simultaneously. But then, if I write an article and then sit and edit something else, it does work out. Ok, lemme put it this way. At my previous job, I scripted my own storyboards and then reviewed (read as edited) the ones scripted by my juniors. It was effective for sure. I mean there was a point of time when I thought I would be better off at only editing rather than writing. But then, that’s not true. I enjoy both in equal amounts. Or probably, I would give a little more weightage to writing. I have to admit it is so very satisfying. I could just spend the rest of my life writing. There is a quote by Issac Asimov that is very apt for me. Here it goes:

If the doctor told me I had six minutes to live, I’d type a little faster.