Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Weekend over U, Me aur Hum

Over the weekend, I caught up with this new hindi flick called "U me aur hum." Well, it was one of those movies which I decided to watch inspite of expecting to be a bad one anyways. Nevertheless, I convinced Kunal to come along( or take me along) for the movie and needless to say that it didnt work out too well. All the cribbing that I had to take post the movie was never worth it. What the heck anyways! By the way, it is supposed to be INSPIRED by a book by Nicholas Sparks' "The Notebook."

Now, coming to the flick, I didnt really like it that much. Surely felt Kajol was the saving grace. and when I say that, I really mean it. Hubby Ajay for one, should not be trying his hand at direction. A very lame attempt at something too serious like alzheimer's but he did succeed in putting up a realistic how nevertheless! The first half of the movie falls flat on your face thanks to Ajay's histrionics and attempts to be a laugh riot. Kajol doesnt really get much of scope as well. What really happens here is the fact that there are these wimpering couples and this cruise that get all of our director's attention. One good point would definitely be the cinematograhy of the movie. Every frame looked like a picture postcard in itself.

The second half however, is something that you can hold on to your seat for. A brilliant performance from Kajol and a decent one from the director-actor is what one can really remember at the end. It comes across as a very poignant depiction of the gamut of emotions attached to the illness and associated with companionship. So with all the pluses and minuses, I would give this movie a 2.5 stars on 5. Catch it for sure.. if you dont have anything better to do.